Winterlopes are Maprun-based night orienteering events that the club runs January - March each year. Each event is 'live' for a week, Monday - Sunday, and you can run any time (after dark of course!). If you use the Maprun app on your smartphone or GPS watch, your results will be uploaded automatically and appear in the league table on the MunroLeagues website. The league combines Winterlope events with the second half of the Fight With the Night (FWTN) series (ie all races after New Year). See Winterlopes 2023 for details.
Courses are live from Monday - Sunday, and should be run after dark. Schedule for 2023 is:
- Jan 30 - Feb 5: Craigmillar (Blackford)
- Feb 13 - 19: Prestonfield
- Feb 20 - 26: Duddingston
- Mar 13 - 19: Liberton
To enter a course, you either need to record your track and upload to the MapRun site manually, or you can use the MapRun6 application (replaces older MapRunF) on your phone. There is also the option to use MapRunG on a smart watch (certainly on Garmin devices) in conjunction with your phone. Full instructions can be found on the SOA website, but in summary:
- For a paper copy of the map (highly recommended) rather than relying on a phone display, locate the course on the SOA course list (ensuring it is for the correct year), and download and print the PDF.
- If recording your track on a GPS watch:
- Run the course, ensuring you start your watch a little before the start location (to ensure your track includes the start).
- After your run, upload your track using the Maprun upload facility (just start typing the name of the event and it should appear)
- If you just want to upload your time without a track:
- Try and time your run as accurately as possible
- Upload the result directly to Munro Leagues.
- If using MapRun6:
- Download MapRun6 app to your phone; optionally also install MapRun6 app on smart watch
- In app on phone, hit 'Select Event'. Navigate to UK -> Scotland -> Edinburgh -> FWTN and Winterlopes.
- OR if a QR code is provided for the event, you can use that to download the course to the app directly without having to search for it.
- Select relevant course (correct location, year and length). Depending on mobile coverage / data allowance you may want to do this on wifi at home!
- Select 'Go to start' (if using phone) or 'Send Event to my Garmin Watch' if you have linked your watch and then select event on your watch.
- Run course.
- The app should upload your results. If you think a control hasn’t been logged when it should have been, you can use the HITMO function in MapRun to correct this
- You can also upload your GPS track using the link above.
- League results will be posted at Munro Leagues soon after each event closes. Results will be transferred from MapRun to Munro Leagues automatically.